A JOURNEY THROUGH ANDALUSIAN ECOSYSTEM
You are the biologist of the group
, that means that you are responsible to do the research about the ecosystem of your route. To help you with the leaflet, as a biologist you must complete different data about everything that we can find in an ecosystem,
not only animals or plants, but the ground (geology), climate, hydrology, etc.
Remember that an ecosystem is the interaction between all these things.
Of course, you are in Andalusia,
a natural passage between Europe and Africa and the meeting point between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.
This word “Mediterranean
” is a key word for you, as it means unique climate conditions: dry and warm summers and mild winters. These are essentials factors to understand our ecology.
Washington Irving’s route follows basically the two main rivers in Andalusia: Genil and Guadalquivir. Following this route we are going to find different areas with different ecosystems that we need to describe and….
Basically, you have:
- To identify the geographic location for your ecosystem
(latitude, longitude, geographical references, N, S, E, W..).
- To become familiar with the native plants
(trees, scrub) in your ecosystem (even with their scientific names).
- To identify the native animals in your ecosystem
(vertebrates and invertebrates)
1. As a biologist you will receive a list of scientific names (in Latin of course) of different species of your ecosystem. Then you will receive a key-picture about the biotic elements of your ecosystem in order to know – at least- the kind of living beings you are looking for.
Then you will go through all the information through the pages listed below and try to complete the different worksheets.
2. You will be provided with a blank map of Andalusia with your assigned area.
3. Then you will have a look at all the information on the links below and try to complete the different activities.
Once you have completed your job you will have identified a complete biome /ecosystem almost unique in the world.
Activity 1 GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION
Complete the coordinates (longitude/latitude) of the four point or your area in the following chart:
Your teacher will also give you a blank map to identify the geographic location for the ecosystem of your route
Activity 2. LIVING BEINGS IDENTIFICATION
The best way to start this part is to find and colour the species (they can be plants, animals, trees etc) in your picture that correspond to the numbers in your chart.
Then, you have to complete an identification card
(below) for each species in your chart. Below you have the links you must visit to find the information you need about your species.You can also include a picture of the plant, animal, tree etc
Click on to get the CHART
and for the different ROUTES
Ecology Quiz ( in case you need to revise your knowledge)
Maps/Books..etc (internet is a powerful tool…., but may be you can also find interesting information in books, maps etc)