Hello Mathematicians. Are you ready to investigate?
With these activities you will become expert with your routes... well, with the statistic data of the villages of your routes. Let´s get started!!
Before you begin: THINGS YOU WILL NEED IN ORDER TO DO YOUR WORK!
Here are some websites with information. You will have to use them.
WEBSITES IN ENGLISH (FROM THE NATIONAL STATISTICS INSTITUTE) TO HELP YOU WITH THE VOCABULARY:
histogram population (INE)
WEBSITES (IN SPANISH) WITH THE DATA YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE IN YOUR INVESTIGATION. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRANSLATE THE INFORMATION INTO ENGLISH FOR THE LEAFLET.
ZONA 1: Estadísticas de Granada
Now it´s time to investigate...
GRAPHS AND INFORMATION
Here are some activities that you will help you remember the things you know about statistics. They will help you prepare what you are going to include in your leaflet.
1) Try to remember what kind of picture you could make to represent this information.
2) Now make a bar chart, a histogram or a pie chart.
If you need to refresh your memory, you can visit the following web pages: http://lolaceituno.googlepages.com/unequalpopulationdistribution
(bar chart, pie chart) or histogram
3) Choose one of the villages on your route and look for this information:
- Male population:
- Female population:
- Population under 20 years old:
- Population in the urban core:
To find this information visit the web "Estadísticas de _" related to your village and to understand the vocabulary go to population (INE)
4) Get your notebook and draw a bar chart or a pie chart for the information you found in question 3.
5) What can you say about the information?
Choose one sentence and continue writing:
6) Repeat activities 3, 4, and 5 with this information:
- I think it is interesting because...
- I think it is false because...
- I knew it because...
- The data is recent/ not recent so...
- Number of hotels.
- Number of restaurants.
- Number of vacancies in hotels and other establishments (where you can sleep).
You can find the data on the web page "Estadísticas de " related to your village.
PREPARING THE LEAFLET!
Now you are going to prepare the information for the leaflet. First you will collect the data but later you will focus on the interesting ones and use them for the leaflet. Remember you have to persuade your future costumers! For every village on your route search for the following information.
Pay attention: some of the data refers to numbers of things or people while other data expresses percentages!
a) Total population.
b) Female/male population.
c) Percentage of population under 20 years old.
d) Percentage of population over 65 years old.
e) Population increase.
a) Foreign population.
b) Migrant population.
c) Immigrant population.
a) Bank offices.
b) Main agriculture. ("cultivos principales")
c) Investments on new industries.
4) Labour market.
b) Permanent contracts.
c) Unemployed female/male population.
a) Number of hospitals/health centers. ("número de centros de salud")
b) Number of surgeries or clinics. ("número de consultorios")
Now create a graph (it can be a histogram, a pie chart or a bar chart) for every section:
Now you have all you need for your marvellous leaflet. But maybe you want to include other things! It's up to you, feel free to use your imagination!!