Ejemplo Prueba de acceso tipo Bachillerato, modelo actual
Activity created by Pepa Cejas Vega (Colegio Maravillas, Benalmádena)
(extract from "The reporter" magazine, March 2002 edition. Page 11)
YOUTH-LATE NIGHTS ALCOHOL
For Gonzalo Robles, government delegate in the Plan Against
Drugs, this (youth- late nights alcohol) is the disturbing triangle that has prompted
the Interior Ministry to propose a series of new laws aimed at eradicating Spain´s
Residents of town and city centres will be well aware of the problem : millions of teenagers throughout Spain congregating and drinking in the streets into the early hours of weekend morning, leaving behind them piles of rubbish and the stench of urine and stale beer.
Youths and other groups argue that under-age drinking is not a new trend; that Spain's liberal attitude towards alcohol and drug consumption is a model for other tightly controlled societies with more serious problems of abuse; that young revellers are forced into the streets because of the high price of drinks served in bars and night-clubs
The government sees it another way, however, and has decided to impose stricter limits on drinking in public areas and to increase the legal age for buying alcohol from 16 to 18, as well as other measures.
COMPREHENSION (4 points)
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT, IN YOUR OWN WORDS (1 point per answer)
1. Which reasons do youths give against the new laws to control "botellones"?
Which two measures have been taken by the government, which are
Mentioned in the article?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT (0.5 per answer)
The new laws will try to put an end to "botellones"
· The habit of drinking alcohol at a young age is not new in Spain
· Right now you needn't be 16 to buy alcohol
· Botellones take place throughout Spain, everyday
USE OF ENGLISH (3 POINTS)
Find an expression in the text with the same meaning as "besides"
2. Find a word in the text which means "very bad smell"
3. Give a synonym for "congregating" (line 6)
4. Underline the word with a different consonant sound in the end abused congregated demanded escaped
5. "I am sorry that I drank so much last night" (Rephrase using "I wish")
6. "You have to clean all this mess before you go home"
(Report what the
policeman said last Saturday to you and your friends)
7. "Young people make noise and leave piles of rubbish behind. Residents usually call the police" (turn this sentence into a conditional, using "provided")
" Bar owners have organized a protest. They feel the measures are
unfair" (Join with a relative pronoun).
PRODUCTION (3 POINTS)
WRITE A COMPOSITION (80-100 WORDS) ABOUT ONE OF THESE OPTIONS
alcohol: a dangerous habit
b) In defence of "Botellones"
Go back to "selectividad"
Webmaster Isabel Pérez Torres