UNIVERSIDAD DE ANDALUCÍA
Ejemplo Prueba de acceso tipo Bachillerato,
An Activity sent by Manuel Francisco Carro Suárez from Cádiz
EURO, Our Money (version 1)
300 million Europeans in 12 countries woke up on 1 January 2002 to a new currency: the euro. The euro is not new: it has been used in electronic transactions and by banks and international businesses since January 1999. Now, following the launch of euro banknotes and coins, everyone living, doing business or travelling in any of the 12 countries is benefiting from dealing in just one currency.
There are seven euro banknote denominations, which can be recognised easily by their look and feel: the larger the banknote, the higher the value. There are also eight denominations of euro coins, each having a common side and a national side. The common side shows the value of the coin. The national side differs from country to country.
You can use all euro banknotes and coins in each of the participating countries. For the first time in the history of Europe 12 currencies have made way for just one: the euro.
(A) COMPREHENSION (4 points)
a) ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT USE YOUR OWN WORDS (1 point per answer)
1. Can all European Union citizens
called the Euro their money? Why?
2. What are the main differences between euro banknotes and euro coins?
b) ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT. (0,5 points per answer)
3. The Euro has
been used since January 1, 2002.
4. The notes and coins started to circulate in January 1999.
5. The Euro is valid in all the European Union countries.
6. The coins are the same ones in every country.
(B) USE OF ENGLISH (3 points)
7) Find in the text one synonym for APPEARANCE (noun)(0.5 points)
8) Find in the text the word which has the
following definition:(0.5 points)
"the system of money that is used in a country"
9) Turn the following sentence into
Passive Voice:(0.5 points)
You can use the euro banknotes and coins in our zone.
10) Give a question fro the underlined words:(0.5
There are eight denominations of euro coins.
11) Rewrite the sentence without changing its meaning, begin as indicated(0.5
There are more coins than banknotes. There arent
12) Join the following
sentences using a relative pronoun(0.5 points)
The new currency is called euro. Its official abbreviation is EUR.
(C) PRODUCTION (3 points)
Write a COMPOSITION (80-100 words). Choose ONE of the following options:
a. Would you like to take a year out in Europe?. Why.
b. Is it important to be able to use foreign languages?. Why?
Webmaster Isabel Pérez Torres