UNIVERSIDAD DE ANDALUCÍA
Ejemplo Prueba de acceso tipo Bachillerato,
An Activity sent by Mari Carmen Martos Pilo
SHE FELL OUT OF MY HANDS
A girl of thirteen wept yesterday as she denied murdering
a baby left in her care. The teenager is said to have changed her story several
times, only later telling police that she dropped 16-month-old Molly Adams.
She was 12 last December when she was left with Molly, whom she had looked after several times before. The baby was found lifeless in her cot at her home in Greater Manchester after the babysitter raised the alarm. A pathologist later concluded that Molly had been struck with extreme force against a wall or the floor.
Yesterday the teenager told the Court that the baby had jerked backwards out of her grasp as she held her against her hip. She said Molly banged her head against the wall before falling on her landing: Dressed on her school uniform, the girl told the jury she had gone to pick up the child hearing her crying. The girl said she gave Molly her bottle and decided to take her downstairs when she fell. 'I picked her up, she was making a noise but not crying, her eyes were open. I cradled her and gave her a hug and put her back in her cot. I went downstairs and started watching this comedy thing for five minutes, but I got this gut feeling so I went back to check on her. I saw this dark thing on her face, I put the light on and went in-it was blood'.
She explained how she run to Molly's aunt's. 'I told her there was something up with Molly'.
She was asked why she hadn't told the aunt about the fall. 'I was scared of getting blamed', she said.
Molly was taken to hospital but she never regained consciousness. She had suffered an 18-centimetre fracture to the skull and massive, irreversible brain damage.
(A) COMPREHENSION (4 points)
a) ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN
IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS. (1 point per answer)
1) How did Molly Adams die?
2) What did the girl do when the baby cried?
b) ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YQUR ANSWERS
WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT. (0.5 points per answer)
3) The teenager put Molly in her cot and went to look for help immediately.
4) Molly was dressed in her school uniform.
5) This was the first time the girl was left with Molly.
6) The teenager was 19 when she was looking after Molly.
(B) USE OF ENGLISH (3 points)
7) Find in the text the word which has the following definition:
" part of the human body which is at every side of the body" (noun)
8) Find in the text an antonym for PUT DOWN (verb). (0.25 points)
9) Give a noun with the same root as DARK (adjective). (0.25 points)
10) Give one synonym for STRUCK (verb) (line 6) (0.25 points)
11) Turn the following sentence into reported speech: (0.5 points)
The article said: "Molly was taken to hospital but she never regained consciousness".
12) Turn the following sentence into active voice: (0.5 points)
The baby was found lifeless in her cot.
13} Give a question for the underlined words. (0.5 points)
The teenager is said to have changed her story.
14) Complete the following sentence: (0.5 points)
She wouldn't have been blamed if...
(C) PRODUCTION (3 points)
Write a COMPOSITION (80-100 words). Choose ONE of the following options:
a) Should children who are accused of crime be considered adults in court?
b) Do you think everyone who treats badly someone should be punished? How?
Webmaster Isabel Pérez Torres