sent by Paco Acuña
Text adapted Adapted from NEWSWEEK, October 14, 1991
LOTS OF PEOPLE GET IN THE WAY OF SOMEBODY'S WAR.
of ten victims in modern wars are civilians. The vast majority of them never
wore a uniform or carried a gun. In the so-called "post-war" period
since 1945, at least 20 million people have died in over 100 conflicts. Other
60 millions have been wounded, imprisoned, separated from their families and
forced to flee their homes or their countries. In over 30 armed conflicts, this
human misery is happening now.
Yet, the Geneva Convention lay down clear rules that all victims of war living under the darkness of conflict must be respected. They have the right to protection from murder, torture and starvation.
To focus attention on this situation, the International Red Cross and the Red Crescent Movement is launching a worldwide campaign to ensure that they get the protection to which they are entitled under international law.
We call on governments and combatants everywhere to respect the rights of all victims who get in the way of somebody's war. Help us to help them
1. What does the text mean by "The vast majority of them never wore a uniform or carried a gun"?
2. Where is the "international law" compiled ?
3. The last statement in the text says: "Help us to help them". What do US and THEM refer to ?
1. Which word in the text means HUNGER ?
2. In your own words explain the meaning of the word FLEE.
Write your opinion about WAR. Use no more than 100 words.
Back to "selectividad"
Webmaster Isabel Pérez Torres