REFUGEES AROUND THE WORLD
A WebQuest for 1st Bachillerato (also 4th ESO)
FRANCISCO J RIOS COSANO
I was a stranger, and you welcomed me. - Matthew 25:35b
Nearly 36 million people around the world have left their homes and communities by persecution and armed conflict.
International migration is part of today’s often discussed globalization. International movement of capital, goods, and labor, today capital and goods move freely across borders, but people are less welcome. All developed countries have received significant numbers of migrants. Spain have also received a high amount of migrants. Spanish people were traditionally emigrants and now they have to face this new phenomena. There is no way to escape the fact that more migrants are needed in the developed world to keep the economies going and internationally competitive. Besides the serious ethical questions this raises regarding the “purchase” of labor from the developing world, developed societies are going to have to face larger inflows of migrants. Migration has often been a source of tensions among cultures and even racist and xenophobic movements. Students must be ready for the future and they must learn more about refugees and immigrants.
A prominent political problem in Spain is the situation on the Southern border, where many people try to enter the EU from Africa, risking their life and often losing it. Service Civil International Andalucia is going to organise the campaign "Refugees, You Need To Know Them" with round tables, an interactive exhibition, films and discussions about the problems of refugees inside and outside of Spain.
Each group of three students will organise a campaign. There will be three roles:
- a journalist specialized in this field
- a famous refugee
- a Goodwill Ambassador
What can we do to help refugees and immigrants?
Your school has decided to carry out a campaign and a talk show for the local TV. The aim is to make people aware of this serious problem. They wish to avoid racist conflicts in the future.
The Town Hall will choose the best TV programm and campaign.
HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT VOCABULARY?
MIGRATION SURVEY – TO ACTIVATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
1. First you'll be assigned to a team of 3 students
2. You'll pick a role: journalist, famous refugee and Goodwill Ambassador.
3. The journalist will seek information about the recent situation and the history of migration. The journalist will compare the Spanish situation now and earlier. The journalist will prepare the TALK SHOW with the refugee and Goodwill Ambassador.
MIGRATION IN SPAIN
4. The student as a famous refugee will choose his character and find out everything about his or her life.
FAMOUS REFUGEES AND PROMINENT REFUGEES
5. The student as a Goodwill Ambassador will choose a famous character who is helping refugees. He or she must find out everything about his or her life and how he or she is helping.
ANGELINA JOLIE- GOODWILL AMBASSADOR
QUESTIONS TO ANGELINA
FACT SHEET-ANGELINA JOLIE
ANGELINA JOLIE – MISSIONS
GENERAL RESOURCES FOR ALL STUDENTS
THE UN REFUGEE AGENCY
HOW TO PREPARE A CAMPAIGN
PROGRAMME ABOUT IMMIGRATION
IMMIGRATION – DEFINITION- INTRODUCTION TO THE PROBLEM
WHY DO PEOPLE IMMIGRATE?
POEMS – ACROMYMS- SLOGANS
THE STATE OF THE WORLD´S REFUGEES
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT REFUGEES
Each team will create a talk show. Students´ conversation should be clear. Grammar should be correct.
Students will be evaluated according:
- the persuasive campaign
- the originality of the slogans